Average domain temperature

All around LEONARDO 4 (and previous 2014)
maherrerahu

Average domain temperature

Postby maherrerahu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:15 am

Hello Envi Met team!

I wonder if the receptors are enough to know the temperature of every hour and in each height for the whole domain, or if I have to put a receptor in each cell to extract the information from the whole domain and finally average all the data (excluding buildings, of course)

Thank you very much

Maria

Tim

Re: Average domain temperature

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:48 am

Hi Maria,

the receptor only extracts the information for every hour and every height of the specified grid cell. If you want to average the whole domain, you will need to place more receptors or try to use the map script function of Leonardo.

Best regards
Tim

maherrerahu

Postby maherrerahu » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:33 am

Tim wrote:Hi Maria,

the receptor only extracts the information for every hour and every height of the specified grid cell. If you want to average the whole domain, you will need to place more receptors or try to use the map script function of Leonardo.

Best regards
Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for answer.
Could you please tell me in what programming language should I run it or what are the variables needed to write the codes or where could I find the instructions to use the map script function?

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:50 am

Hi Maria,

the MapScript function is located at the 'Data' tab. At the lower right corner of the Map Script Editor you can find the Help button, which gives some information about key variables.
In order to calculate an average for the whole domain (without including data from objects like buildings) you can use this script:

var
sum: Double;
i,j,counter: Integer;

Begin
{Edit your code here for the main routine}
sum := 0;
counter := 0;

for i := 0 to map_xgrids-1 do
for j := 0 to map_ygrids-1 do
if mapdata('Special2D',i,j) = 0 then
begin
sum := sum + mapdata('Data2D',i,j);
counter := counter + 1;
end;

Writeln(sum/counter);

Best regards
Tim

maherrerahu

Postby maherrerahu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:40 pm

the MapScript function is located at the 'Data' tab. At the lower right corner of the Map Script Editor you can find the Help button, which gives some information about key variables.
In order to calculate an average for the whole domain (without including data from objects like buildings) you can use this script:

var

Begin

if mapdata('Special2D',i,j) = 0 then
begin
end;

Writeln(sum/counter);

Best regards
Tim

Dear Tim,

Thank you very much for your help!

Actually, the real problem that I have, is the "Data2D" generation for Air Temperature and Relative Humidity at many position of view plane and for different hour, and it exportation. Because it is to hard to generate this data manually with Leonardo Plataform.

What I mean is that I need a script to export this large data and then calculate the average.

I hope that you can understand me.

Kind regards,

Maria

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:00 am

Hi Maria,

I understand your wish to export all the data as average values. At the moment, I only see the 2 possibilities that I mentioned before:
1. Place receptors at every grid cell without buildings and merge the resulting receptor files. You will then get the data for all heights and hours but need to handle/merge several files (e.g. 10000 receptor files for a relatively small model area of 100x100 grids). I'd recommend writing a small script for that.
2. Extract the air temperature and subsequently the rel. humidity for every hour and every height that you need. Run the map script and save the resulting average values. This may take some time but can be done even when the simulation already finished (with no or only a few receptors in the model area) and needs no further programming skills (if you use my map script from above).

Best regards
Tim

maherrerahu

Postby maherrerahu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:41 am

I understand your wish to export all the data as average values. At the moment, I only see the 2 possibilities that I mentioned before:
1. Place receptors at every grid cell without buildings and merge the resulting receptor files. You will then get the data for all heights and hours but need to handle/merge several files (e.g. 10000 receptor files for a relatively small model area of 100x100 grids). I'd recommend writing a small script for that.
2. Extract the air temperature and subsequently the rel. humidity for every hour and every height that you need. Run the map script and save the resulting average values. This may take some time but can be done even when the simulation already finished (with no or only a few receptors in the model area) and needs no further programming skills (if you use my map script from above).

Best regards
Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for your help and your patience.
The last question (I hope so) ... If I selected option 1, how computationally expensive could be to have too many receivers? This, because in option 2 my hand hurts.

In any case, I am very grateful for your collaboration.

Maria

maherrerahu

Postby maherrerahu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:41 am

maherrerahu wrote:

Best regards
Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for your help and your patience.
The last question (I hope so) ... If I selected option 1, how computationally expensive could be to have too many receivers? This, because in option 2 my hand hurts :oops: :cry:

In any case, I am very grateful for your collaboration.

Maria

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:08 am

Hey Maria,

I never tried to place that many receptors. They are usually not time consumpting but in such high amount they will definitely cause a delay. You have to try out how fast the simulation runs.

Best regards
Tim

maherrerahu

Postby maherrerahu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:22 am

Dear Tim,

I really appreciate your help. I'll try to see how long it takes.

Have a nice day

Maria

sara5759

Postby sara5759 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:56 am

Dear ENVI-met team
I have read all topics about average temperature in a given area. I need to calculate the mean temperature for just outdoor area excluding buildings. Thus I need to calculate them for more than 30 senarios, I need to find a very easy way to do that. I used the script you provided for two maps; air temperature at 1.5 height and surface temperature. Both maps have been attached. These are the results:

Air temperature map
Mean temperature include buildings: 31.4088818381933 °C
Mean temperature exclude buildings: 31.4095282395625 °C

Surface temperature
Mean temperature include buildings: 32.7341864669422 °C
Mean temperature exclude building: 32.7305928530969 °C

As you can see there is no much difference between them when building involved, which seems weird especially for surface temperature. From the legend in surface temperature maps, it is guessable that the outdoor mean temperature would be around approximately 36°C. Then, I decided to solve this problem. With the help of one of my friends, I wrote a script and tried it. It shows the same result as your script for air temperature but the surface temperature was quite different. However, I am not sure about it. Since the results will go to my doctoral thesis could you please take a look at that.
This is the script written for surface temperature:
var

Begin
{AnalyseMap;
AnalyseMask(FALSE); }

{Writeln(mapdata('Data2D',i,j)) }
if mapdata('Data2D',i,j) > 22 then
begin
end;

Writeln(sum/counter);
end;

These are the results.
Air temperature map
Mean temperature exclude buildings: 31.4095282395625 °C
Surface temperature
Mean temperature exclude building: 36.7921607648367°C

Many thanks for your help and supports.

Best regards
Sara
Attachments
Mapscript for air temperature.jpg
TS.jpg
TA.jpg

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 am

Hi Sara,

In Surface outputs is no SpecialLayer information included. The If condition asking for any free cells (Special2d = 0) thus gives you all cells as result and calculates the average also for cells within buildings. You new if condition is thus much better for the surface outputs since you ask if the temperature is above a certain level. 22 °C though might be too high since there could be some places with have around 20 °C in your model area. Buildings all show the default value of 19.85 °C. If you ask for Data2D > 19.86, it will also average all free cells but also includes cells which may have values lower than 22 °C.

Best regards,
Tim

sara5759

Postby sara5759 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:15 pm

Hi Tim,

That is very helpful :) . I really appreciate it.

Regards
Sara

Return to “LEONARDO 4”