Adding solar panels to roofs

Here you can post what you miss in recent versions of ENVI-met or related software...
Mosaicinsights

Adding solar panels to roofs

Postby Mosaicinsights » Wed May 27, 2020 5:50 am

It would be great to quantify the change in temperature of an urban environment when buildings have solar panels.

Tim

Re: Adding solar panels to roofs

Postby Tim » Wed May 27, 2020 6:57 am

Hi,

An exact implementation of solar panels is not available, yet. However, you could create a roof/wall with an outer material featuring the parameters of solar panels (e.g. having a very low albedo). Those special solar panel roofs/walls can the be set in 3D mode where the solar panels are applied at your building.

Best regards,
Tim

Mosaicinsights

Postby Mosaicinsights » Wed May 27, 2020 7:44 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tip! But would having a really low albedo roof/wall mean the building itself gets hotter and potentially reradiate more heat?

I've seen some research (one WRF modelling one observational) showing a cooling effect from solar panels. Is there a way to make that solar energy sort of disappear (in practice converted to energy)?

Thanks,
Steph

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 am

Hi Steph,

Yes, it would get hotter and emit more heat.

Such an effect of solar panels is not implemented in ENVI-met, yet.

Best regards,
Tim

abcd

Postby abcd » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:58 am

I read a publication where they used Envi-met to simulate the impact of solar panels. They found as a result the cooling effect.

Carol_Torres

Postby Carol_Torres » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:48 am

Dear all:

I am trying to simulate as well solar panels over the roof of a building. Did you manage to find a way on how to do this with ENVI-met? I would appreciate if you could share documentation on this regard or if you could provide some advice on how to set up the materials in the data base manager. I intend to model it as a wall as User "abcd" did. However, I see you mentioned the result may be a cooling effect and the software may not be suitable for this analysis as it does not yet allow this scenario. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Carol

Return to “Wishlist for future versions”